GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 26th 2004, 15:22

Question Spindle Shafts

undefined DO THE DRUM BRAKE SPINDLES AND THE DISC BRAKE SPINDLE HAVE THE SAME SHAFT? (ARE THE BEARINGS THE SAME?)
THANKS
Old January 26th 2004, 19:32

Yes, and also BJ and super bearings and bearing-spacing is the same. Back in the day putting super drums on a BJ front end was a popular option (super drums and wheel cylinders are bigger than BJ).
Old January 26th 2004, 21:49

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat
Yes, and also BJ and super bearings and bearing-spacing is the same. Back in the day putting super drums on a BJ front end was a popular option (super drums and wheel cylinders are bigger than BJ).
THANKS
SO USISNG A SET OF CLASSIC & SPEED PARTS (CPS) VENTED ROTORS ON MY DRUM SPINDLES SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM RIGHT?
Old January 27th 2004, 01:29

Yes, but only if you don't need to bolt on a caliper. The only way you can convert is to get DISC spindles, which have mounting ears for the calipers.
Old January 27th 2004, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by craazy Cooter
Yes, but only if you don't need to bolt on a caliper. The only way you can convert is to get DISC spindles, which have mounting ears for the calipers.
undefined THANKS CRAAZY COOTER
I HAVE 944 CALIPARS AND BRAKETS. JUST CONFIRMING AN EASIER/ CHEAPER WAY OF INSTALLING THE ROTORS.
THANKS AGAIN
Old January 27th 2004, 21:03

Ok not to take this post on a tangent, but I'm looking at doing the 944 conversion on the front of my 1302. Changing to the 1303 front suspension is not a option as I already have three bolt Maxx struts. I have two options it would appear.

1) Use my stock drum three bolt spindles, have a little machining to the face of the spindle to clear the 944 hub and get a caliper mount machined that will bolt to two of the holes for the backing plate. Also I'll need to figure out the bearings and grease seals.

2)Get ahold of some spindles from a disc braked 1302(european) and most likely have to have a caliper mount machined to fit the 944 calipers. Also probally have to have the face machined and of course adapter bearings and grease seals. (The bearings and grease seals just need the width and OD of the 944 stuff and the ID of the VW stuff)

I will be starting on this project soon. So if any of you guys have insite into this matter, it would be much apreciated. Also what brand of bearings is the best? Once again sorry for biting off this thread but I believe that it is all relivent. Thanks

Nick
Old January 28th 2004, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Ninja
Ok not to take this post on a tangent, but I'm looking at doing the 944 conversion on the front of my 1302. Changing to the 1303 front suspension is not a option as I already have three bolt Maxx struts. I have two options it would appear.

1) Use my stock drum three bolt spindles, have a little machining to the face of the spindle to clear the 944 hub and get a caliper mount machined that will bolt to two of the holes for the backing plate. Also I'll need to figure out the bearings and grease seals.

2)Get ahold of some spindles from a disc braked 1302(european) and most likely have to have a caliper mount machined to fit the 944 calipers. Also probally have to have the face machined and of course adapter bearings and grease seals. (The bearings and grease seals just need the width and OD of the 944 stuff and the ID of the VW stuff)
I will be starting on this project soon. So if any of you guys have insite into this matter, it would be much apreciated. Also what brand of bearings is the best? Once again sorry for biting off this thread but I believe that it is all relivent. Thanks

Nick
YOU CAN GO TO PERFORMANCEGHIA.COM AND THE SHOW YOU THE VW BEARING ADAPTORS AND HOW TO SWAP BRAKES, OR THE MAIN PAGE FOR GERMAN LOOK FOR THE 944 BEARING ADAPTORS AND INSTRUCTIONS TO SWAP. THE BOOK VW BEETLE PERFORMANCE HANDBOOK HAS A SCALED DRAWING OF THE ADAPTER. ALSO ON THE MAIN PAGE.
Old January 28th 2004, 19:01

[.
frank's vw werks will make the bearing spacers for about $88 or assemble the setup incuding the machining for about $280 to 350. or you can use rotors from cps (reqires no hub) and just make a caliper bracket and nessesary adj to attach them.
Old January 28th 2004, 20:15

Thanks Steven I hadn't been to Micheal Ghia's site in a while, so I'll check that out. I still want to run the 944 stuff because I already got the parts and I don't think the csp rotors are 11 inches.

Nick